The Language and Cultural Studies Field of Study is designed to provide students the opportunity to develop and enhance their practical communication skills and cross-cultural understanding that will provide them the foundational coursework required for careers in languages and cultural studies.
Furthermore, the field of study will focus on integrating language, culture and literature to help students gain an international perspective for living and working in today’s global society.
Students declaring a field of study in Languages and Cultural Studies may choose courses in one or more of the following concentrations: Spanish, Bilingual/Bicultural Studies, Spanish/English Translation and American Sign Language.
Cost of Program
|Tuition & fees:|
|Books & supplies:|
|On-Campus Room & Board:||Not Offered|
Length of Program
|Intended time to complete:||12 Months|
|% of graduates who completed on time:||N/A|
|Jobs related to this program:|
|• Interpreters and Translators (27-3091.00)||O*NET|
|Median debt from federal loans:||$0|
|Median debt from private educational loans:||$5,426.00|
|Median debt from institution financing plan:||$0|
|% Job Placement of Graduates||N/A|
|Martinez, Maricela||mmartin1||(956) 872-6425||(956) 872-2636||PCN J-3.1102D|
|Banford, James P.||jpbanfor||956-872-2543||Pecan J-3.1604|
|Belena, Dr. Emmanuel||ebelena||956-872-2610||Pecan J-3.1502|
|Espinoza, Mario||espinoza||956-973-7607||Weslaco G 237|
|Lopez, Nereida||nlopez||956-872-2003||Pecan J - 3.1508|
|Magdaleno-Lejarza, Delia||deliam||956-872-8380||Pecan J-3.1314|
|Matulewicz, Rosario||rosariom||956-872-3465||Pecan J-3.1304|
|Pastor, Elisa - Department Chair||epastor||956-872-2697||Pecan J-3.1506|
|Silva, Juan||jsilva||956-872-2691||Pecan J-3.1318|
|Villarreal, Hector||hectorv||956-872-2692||Pecan J-3.1320|
|Dr. Zenor, Jerry - ASL||jzenor||956-872-2624||Pecan J-3.1510|
! G R A C I A S !
Queremos Agradecer muy especialmente toda la colaboración de las siguentes personas, ya que sin ellas nuestra publicación no hubiera sido una realidad:
Dr. Shirley A. Reed
Sr. Juan Mejía
- To service our community
- To promote our Hispanic Culture
- To promote social and recreational
activities among its members
Spanish Club Officers
President: Daniel Díaz
Vice-President: Lupita Tijerina
Treasurer: Juan García
Secretary: Daisy Urbina
Historian/Public Relations: Jessica and Mariana
Spanish Club Sponsorss
Héctor Villarreal firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish Club Calendar of Events
Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration - Sept. 15th - Oct. 15th
Dieciséis de septiembre - Hispanic Heritage Month - "Kick-off"
Thursday, September 15th - 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Cafeteria
Tejano Band / Folklórico / Mariachi Singer / Grito Contest / Singing (Karaoke) Contest / Food Sale
Traditional Hispanic Dishes Contest
Wednesday, September 21st - 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Cafeteria Awards
Panel - "Spanish in Today's Media"
Thursday, October 6th - 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - Student Lounge
Local media panelists (Tv, radio, newspaper)
Food Festival - Hispanic Dishes - Grand Finale to National Hispanic Heritage Month
Wednesday, October 12th - 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
All sorts of dishes from Spanish speaking countries
ADA Walk-a-thon - The American Diabetes Associaton
Saturday, November 5th - Time - TBA - Plaza One / Edinburg Regional Medical Center
First Annual STC Club Awards
We can proudly say that in last year's first ever Club Awards, our Spanish Club took away 2 of the 4 recognition awards given to our more than 20 clubs here at STC. Daniel Díaz, our vice- president last year, was recognized as the Student Leader of the Year and Mr. Héctor Villarreal and Mr. Mario Espinoza, club sponsors, were honored as the Sponsors of the Year.
List of ASL Links
List of Spanish Links
- Alta Vista Search the web in any language!
- Google Language Tools Search with Google, translate text, etc.!
- Infoseek in Spanish
- Terra Spanish Language portal site
- Yahoo! en español
- About.com Spanish Language, literature in Spanish, music, chat and more.
- EspanOlé-resource for students and teachers. Lot's of well organized links!
- Latino Web The virtual information center for Latino resources.
- YourDictionary.com Formely, A Web of Online Dictionary for every need.
- Diccionario Usual (2001) de la Real Academia Española
Literatura Y Cultura
- Artes E Historia - Foro Virtual de Cultura Mexicana
- Diego Rivera Mural Project
- Literatura Argentina Contemporánea
Spanish Language Learning Sites
- BBC Education - Spanish Many Resources for learners of Spanish organized by level; Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.Games & resources available for travelers also.
- Business Spanish Lessons offers free online lessons.
- Dialogos Colombianos "...ethnographic video for the study of nonverbal communication patterns of Spanish-speaking individuals in Bogotá Colombia. " Videos of converstations about a variety of topics.
- Foreign Languages for Travelers Choose Spanish. Basic phrases and words with sound!
- Gramática Explanations of basic Spanish 1grammar with interactive exercises.
- Learn Spanish A free online tutorial(Warning! this site is also trying to sell books!)
- Mundo 21 An extensive series of links with information about each country studied in Mundo 21
- Spanish Grammar Exercises by Barbara Kuczun Nelson at Colby College. Wonderful exercises plus an extensive list of other online interactive exercises for Spanish.
- Spanish Language Excercises by Juan Ramón de Arana
- Spanish Language Resources from Houghton-Mifflin. Culture, language, media, and more.
Ms. Delia Magdaleno
Office: Pecan Bldg. J 3.1314
Phone: (956) 872-8380
Phone: (956) 872-2632
3201 W. Pecan Blvd.
Bldg J 3.1104
McAllen, TX 78501
P.O. Box 9701
McAllen, TX 78502-9701